Phone: 512 232-6118 | 512 471-4696
Fax: 512 471-4910
Office: NUR 5.151 | NUR 3.438
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Meraviglia is an Associate Professor of Clinical Nursing, specializing in Adult Health Nursing. She is the Division Chair of the Holistic Adult Division for the 2013-2015 academic years. Dr. Meraviglia has studied Health Promotion in Cancer Survivors including the biological, emotional, social and spiritual aspects of living with cancer.
Dr. Meraviglia is a Clinical Nurse Specialist specializing in the care of people with multiple chronic conditions. As a board certified advanced practice nurse, she manages the health and illness needs of clients at a safety-net clinic, Samaritan Health Ministries, in Cedar Park, Texas.
- 2013-2015: Co-Investigator, Enhancing the Advanced Nursing Education of Clinical Nurse Specialists through Integration of Care for Patients with Multiple Chronic Conditions Using Interprofessional Education. Dr. Gayle Timmerman, Principal Investigator. Health Resources and Services Administration, HRSA-13-186.
- 2007- 2011: Principal Investigator. Promoting Healthy Behaviors for Low-Income Cancer Survivors. Co-Principal Investigator, Dr. Alexa Stuifbergen. Office of Cancer Survivorship, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Institute of Health (NIH), National Cancer Institute (NCI) R03 CA117539-01.
- 2006-2009: Research Associate, Health-Promoting Self Care in People with Heart Failure. Dr. Angela Clark, Principal Investigator. National Institute of Nursing Research. National Institute of Health.
- 2003-2008: Research Associate,Texas Nurse-Friendly Program for Rural /Small Hospitals. Mary Wainwright, Principal Investigator. East Texas Area Health Education Center and Texas Nursing Association. Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). 5 D66HP01379-05-00. $5 million.
- Meraviglia, M., Stuifbergen, A., Morgan, S., & Parson, D. (2014). Low-income cancer survivors’ use of health-promoting behaviors. MEDSURG Nursing, accepted for publication, March/April 2014.
- Clark, A.P., McDougall, G.J., Joiner-Rogers, G., Innerarity, S., Delville, C., Meraviglia, M., Davila, A. (2013). Health status and self-care outcomes following an education-support intervention for people with chronic heart failure, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, in review.
- Meraviglia, M. & Stuifbergen, A. (2013). Health promotion for cancer survivors: Adaptation and implementation of a holistic intervention. Holistic Nursing Practice, 27(3) 140-147.
- Clark, A.P., McDougall, G.J., Joiner-Rogers, G., Innerarity, S., Delville, C., Meraviglia, M., Davila, A. (2012) Explanatory models of heart failure etiology. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 31(1), 46-52.
- Meraviglia, M., & Stuifbergen, A. (2011). Health-promoting behaviors of low-income cancer survivors. Journal of Clinical Nurse Specialist, 25(3), 118-124.
- Gaskamp, C., & Meraviglia, M. (2011). Spirituality. Encyclopedia of Nursing Research.
- Meraviglia, M., Gaskamp, C. & Sutter, R. (2010). Spirituality in Aging. In J.W. Lange. The Nurse’s Role in Promoting Optimal Health of Older Adults. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis.
- Meraviglia, M., Grobe, S., Tabone, S., Wainwright, M., Shelton, S., Miner, H. & Jordan, C. (2009). Creating a positive work environment: Implementation of the Nurse-Friendly hospital criteria. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(2), 64-70.
- Meraviglia, M., Grobe, S., Tabone, S., Wainwright, M., Shelton, S., Yu, L., & Jordan, C. (2008). Nurse-Friendly Hospital Project: Enhancing nurse retention and quality of patient care. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(4), 303-315.
- Meraviglia, M., Sutter, R., Gaskamp, C., Adams, S., & Titler, M.G. (2008).Evidence-based guideline: Providing spiritual care for the terminally ill older adult. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 34(7), 8-14.
- Gaskamp, C., Sutter, R., Meraviglia, M., Adams, S., & Titler, M. G. (2006). Evidence-based guideline: Promoting spirituality in the older adult. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 32(11), 8-13.
- Meraviglia, M., Sutter, R., & Gaskamp, C. (2006). Providing spiritual care to the terminally ill older adult. Evidence-based protocol. Gerontological Nursing Interventions Research Center, The University of Iowa College of Nursing.
- Meraviglia, M. (2006). Effects of spirituality in breast cancer survivors. Oncology Nursing Forum, 33(1), E1-7.
- Gaskamp, C., Sutter, R., & Meraviglia, M. (2004) Promoting spirituality in older adults. Evidence-based protocol. Gerontological Nursing Interventions Research Center, The University of Iowa College of Nursing.
- Meraviglia, M. G. (2004). The effects of spirituality on well-being of people with lung cancer. Oncology of Nursing Forum, 31(1), 89-94.
- Meraviglia, M. G., McGuire, C., & Chesley, D. A. (2003). Nurses' needs for education on cancer and end-of-life care. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 34(3) 122-127.
- Meraviglia, M. G., Becker, H., Rosenbluth, B., Sanchez, E., & Robertson, T. (2003). The Expect Respect Project: Creating a positive elementary school climate. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 18, 1347.
- Meraviglia, M. G. (2002). Prayer in people with cancer. Cancer Nursing, 25(4), 326-331.
- Meraviglia, M., Becker, H., Grobe, S. J., & King, M. (2002). Maintenance of skin integrity as a clinical indicator of nursing care. Advances in Skin & Wound Care, 15(1) 24-29.