Phone: 512 471-7936
Office: NUR 5.139
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Dr. Radhakrishnan received her PhD and BSN from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, her Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) from the University of Texas at Arlington, and her Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics Engineering (BE) from the University of Mumbai. She completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. Her research focuses on use of technology such as telehealth, digital games, and data mining of Electronic Health Records (EHR) for chronic disease self-management. Specifically, her research focusses on the socio-technical aspects of health technology use as well as their sustainability.
- Principal Investigator. Interactive Digital e-health games for heart failure self-management, National Institutes of Nursing Research. P30NR015335-01 (Center for Transdisciplinary Collaborative Research in Self-Management Science, Kim, PI) $40,000 total costs, 10/15/14 – 1/14/16
- Principal Investigator, Advanced Care Planning by South Asian Indians, Sigma Theta Tau International, $5000 total costs, 8/2015 – 7/2016
- Co-Investigator. Diabetes in Korean Americans, National Institutes for Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases. R18DK08936-06, 9/2014 – 5/2015
- Co-Investigator. Translation of Heart Failure Clinical Practice Guidelines for Home health Electronic Health Record using Standardized Nursing Terminology, University of Pennsylvania Faculty Senate Research Committee Pilot Awards, $3000 total costs, 3/2012 – 2/2013
- Principal Investigator. Association of telehealth alerts and patient characteristics with key medical events and follow-up care received by heart failure home health patients. T32NR009356 University of Pennsylvania NewCourtland Center for Transitions and Aging, $38,022 total costs, 8/2011 – 8/2012
- Principal Investigator, Characteristics of patients on telehealth that influence their heart failure outcomes in the home health setting. Sigma That Tau – Beta Zeta Chapter Dissertation Award, $520, 9/2010 – 8/2011
- Honors Student Investigator. The Effects of Human Patient Simulator Practice on Clinical Performance of Nursing Students: A Pilot Study. Commonwealth Honors College at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, $320.00, 7/2005 – 6/2006
- Radhakrishnan, K., Martin, K., Johnson, K., Garcia, A. (In Review). Effective teaching-learning strategies for Omaha System. Home Healthcare Now Journal
- Radhakrishnan, K. Xie, B., Jacelon, C. (2015). Unsustainable Telehealth Program: A Texas Qualitative study. The Gerontologist doi: 10.1093/geront/gnv050 [E-publication ahead of print, April 2015] Impact Factor: 3.231
- Radhakrishnan, K., Xie, B., Kim, M., Ellis, A. (2015). Barriers and Facilitators for Sustainability of Tele-homecare Programs : A Systematic Review. Health Services Research Journal DOI: 10.1111/1475-6773.12327 [E-publication ahead of print, June 2015] Impact Factor: 2.491
- Chen , H., Suzuki, S., Radhakrishnan, K., Popoola, T., Homan, S. (2015). Improving Diabetic Patient Transition to Homecare: Leading Risk Factors for Readmission. American Journal of Managed Care;21(6):440-450. Impact Factor: 2.166
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jones, T., Weems, D., Knight, T., Rice, W. (2015). Seamless Transitions: Achieving patient safety through communication and collaboration. Journal of Patient Safety doi: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000168 [E-publication ahead of print, March 2015]. Impact Factor: 1.492
- Radhakrishnan, K., Bowles, K., Zettek-Sumner, A. (2013) Contributors to telehealth false alerts for patients with heart failure: A mixed methods exploration. Applied Clinical Informatics; 4(4), 465-75.
- Radhakrishnan. K., Topaz, M., Masterson-Creber, R. (2013) Adapting heart failure guidelines for nursing care in home health settings: challenges and solutions. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing [E-publication ahead of print, Nov 2013]
- Topaz. M., Shalom. E., Masterson-Creber. E., Radhakrishnan. K., & Bowles K.H. (2013). Developing Nursing Computer Interpretable Guidelines: a Feasibility Study of Heart Failure Guidelines in Homecare. American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2013 Annual Conference Proceedings. 2013: 1353–1361
- Radhakrishnan, K., Bowles, K., Hanlon, A., Topaz, M., Chittams, J. (2013) A retrospective study on patient characteristics and telehealth alerts indicative of key medical events for heart failure (HF) patients at a home health agency. Telemedicine and e-health journal, 19(9), 664 70. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2012.0307
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., Marquard, J., Bowles, K. (Feb 2013) “Use of homecare EHR to identify associations between patient characteristics and hospitalizations for heart failure patients using telehealth services” Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare,19(2),107-112. doi:10.1258/jtt.2012.120509.
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., Bigelow, C., Roche, J., Marquard, J., Bowles, K. (2013) “Association of co-morbidities with homecare nursing utilization and withdrawal from telehealth by patients with heart failure” Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 28 (3), 216-27. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182512331.
- Topaz, M., Radhakrishnan K., Masterson-Creber R. and Bowles K.H. (June 2012). Putting evidence to work: using Standardized Terminologies to incorporate Clinical Practice Guidelines within homecare Electronic Health Records. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 16 (2).
- Radhakrishnan, K., Jacelon, C., & Roche, J. (Aug 2012) “Perceptions on the use of telehealth for Heart failure by homecare nurses and patients: A mixed method study” Home Healthcare Management & Practice, 24 (4), 175-81. doi: 10.1177/1084822311428335.
- Radhakrishnan, K. (2012). “The Efficacy of Tailored Interventions for Self-Management Outcomes of Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension or Heart disease: Quantitative Systematic Review” Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(3):496-510. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.
- Radhakrishnan, K., & Jacelon, C. (2011). Impact of telehealth on patient self-management of heart failure: A review of literature. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(1), 33–43.
- Radhakrishnan, K., & Jacelon, C. (2009). Synthesis of literature on technology strategies for chronic disease management post disasters. Journal of Nursing Healthcare & Chronic Illness, 1(4).
- Zayas-Caban, T., Marquard, J., Radhakrishnan, K., Duffey, N., Evernden, D. (2009) “Scenario-based User Testing to Guide Consumer Health Informatics Design”. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2009 Conference Proceedings, 719-23.
- Radhakrishnan, K. (2008). Technology and caring: Finding common ground for nursing practice. The International Journal of Technology Knowledge and Society, 4(5).
- Radhakrishnan, K., Roche, J.P., & Cunningham, H. (2007). Measuring clinical practice parameters with human patient simulation: a pilot study. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 4(1).