Phone: 512 471-7938
Office: NUR 5.158
The University of Texas at Austin, School of Nursing
1710 Red River Street
Austin, TX 78701
Linda H. Yoder, PhD, MBA, RN, AOCN, FAAN, is an Associate Professor and Director of the Graduate Concentration in Nursing Administration and Healthcare Systems Management at the University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing. Dr. Yoder was an Army Nurse Corps officer for 28 years, retiring at the rank of Colonel. She has been at the School of Nursing for eight years, teaching graduate nursing administration and healthcare systems management courses as well as advising and coaching doctoral students.
Dr. Yoder is an outcomes researcher and has spent most of her career working and conducting research in hospitals. Her areas of research have included examining patient care problems, the nursing work environment, career development relationships of nurses, and quality of life in patients with chronic illnesses, such as cancer, cardiovascular, and pulmonary disease as well as burn survivors. Dr. Yoder continues to collaborate with active duty military researchers, serving as a research mentor to new investigators. She also collaborates extensively with the hospital systems in the greater Austin area.
Dr. Yoder is an alumna of the Robert Wood Johnson Executive Nursing Fellowship (2011 Cohort) and she is the President-elect of the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses. She is a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing and also is a member of several professional nursing organizations to include the Academy of Medical Surgical Nursing, The Oncology Nursing Society, The Association of Nurse Executives, the American Nurses Association, and Sigma Theta Tau International. She serves as a reviewer or editorial board member of several clinical and research journals.
- 2015-2016 National Science Foundation (NSF); RAPID: Collaborative Research: Ebola-related Information Obtained by Healthcare Providers: Effects of Formal and Informal Communication Channels and Organizational Structure. Role: Co-Investigator
- 2013-2017 TriService Nursing Research Program Grant N13-P06 LTC Felecia Rivers (PI), Exploring Post Deployment Behavioral Health among Military Enroute Care Nurses. Role: quantitative methods mentor and Investigator
- 2014-2016 Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellowship, Yoder, L. H. (PI), Relational Coordination and Coaching Among Nurse Leaders in Central Texas.
- 2014-2016 American Nurses Foundation Grant, Deborah Kenny (PI), Lived Experiences of Female Veterans after Iraq and Afghanistan who are Homeless or Near Homeless: A Phenomenological Study. Role: Investigator
- TriService Nursing Research Program Grant N12-006 LTC A. Nayback-Beebe (PI), June 2012-2015, A Pilot Study Examining the Efficacy of Biomodulator Treatment for Chronic Low Back Pain (LBP). Role: Mentor.
- 2010-2015 TriService Nursing Research Program Grant N11-004, LTC Nancy Steel (PI), A Female Urinary Diversion Device for Military Women in the Deployed Environment.
- 2012-2014 TriService Nursing Research Program Grant (N12-P04) CPT J. Robbins (PI), Implementing an Evidence-based Precepting Program in a Military Burn Center. Role: Mentor.
- 2006-2014, Linda Yoder (PI), Outcomes of Burned Service Members Treated at a Military Burn Center, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program.
- 2010-2012, Vicki Batson (PI), Managerial Coaching and Staff Nurse Perceptions of the Nursing Work Environment, Job Satisfaction, and Intent to Stay. Epsilon Theta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, Role: Mentor & Dissertation Chairperson.
- 2008-2012, COL Kathryn Gaylord, (PI), The Comparison of PTSD and Mild TBI in Burned Military Service Members, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program, Role: Research Mentor.
- 2007-2012, Valerie Lawrence & Polly Hitchcock (Co-PIs), Long-term Outcomes in Burned OEF/OIF Veterans (LOBO), Veterans Administration HSR&D SDR 07-042, Role: Consultant.
- 2006-2012, COL Kathryn Gaylord (PI), Longitudinal Outcomes of Burned Civilians Treated at a Military Burn Center, United States Institute of Surgical Research, Role: Consultant.
- 2009-2011, LTC Ann Nayback (PI), Post-deployment Social Support and Social Conflict in Female Military Veterans, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program, Role: Mentor & Dissertation Chairperson.
- 1999-2009, Linda Yoder (PI), Longitudinal Outcomes from a Military Burn Center, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program.
- 2006 Yoder, Linda (PI) Paths to Success: Evaluating the Nursing Work Environment. Conducted at Washington Adventist Hospital, Takoma Park, MD and Adventist Rehabilitation Hospital of Maryland, Rockville, MD.
- 1998-2001 Yoder, Linda (AI) Testing an Exercise Intervention for Patients with Cancer, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program.
- 1998-1999 Yoder, Linda (PI) Psychometric Testing of a Coaching Survey, Tri-Service Nursing Research Program.
- 1997-2000 Yoder, Linda (AI) Outcomes from a Heel Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program, Tri-Service Nursing, Research Program.
Publications (previous 5 years)
- Bae, S-H., & Yoder, L. H. (in press). Implementation of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ nonpayment policy for preventable adverse events in rural and non-rural U.S. hospitals, Journal of Nursing Care Quality.
- Chavez, E., & Yoder, L. H. (2015). Staff nurse clinical leadership: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 50(2) 90-100.
- Jones, T. L., & Yoder, L. H. (2014). Dimensions of nurse work time: Progress in instrumentation. Nursing & Health Sciences, 17(3), 323-330.
- Yoder, L. H., Kirkley, D., McFall, D.C., Kirksey, K., Stalbaum, A., & Sellers, D. (2014). Staff nurses use of research to facilitate evidence-based practice. American Journal of Nursing, 114(9), 26-38. CE & published ahead of print doi:10.1097/01.NAJ.0000453753.00894.29
- Scherbakova, N., Rascati, K., Brown, C., Lawson, K., Novak, S., Richards, K. M., & Yoder, L. (2014). Factors associated with seizure recurrence in epilepsy patients treated with antiepileptic monotherapy: A retrospective observational cohort study using US administrative insurance claims, CNS Drugs, online ahead of print doi:10.1007/s40263-014-0191-1
- Mann-Salinas, E., Hayes, E., Robbins, J., Sabido, J., Feider, L., Allen, D., & Yoder, L. (2014). A systematic review of the literature to support an evidence-based precepting program. Burns, 40(3), 374-387. doi:10.1016/j.burns.2013.11.008. Epub 2013 Dec 9.
- Dingley, J., & Yoder, L. (2013). The public health nursing work environment: Review of the literature. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice 19(4), 308-321. on-line ahead of print doi:10.1097/PHH.0b013e31825ceadc
- Steele, N., & Yoder, L. H. (2013). Military Women’s Urinary Patterns, Practices, and Complications in Deployment Settings. Urologic Nursing, 33(2), 61-78.
- Simmons, A., & Yoder, L. (2013). Military resilience: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 48(1), 17-25.
- Yoder, L. H., McFall, D. C., & Cancio, L. C. (2012). Use of the videophone to collect quality of life data from burn patients. International Journal of Burns and Trauma, 2(3), 135-144.
- Androwich, I., Watson, C., Belcher, J. V., Patrician, P., Sherman, R., & Yoder, L. (2012) Graduate practicums in nursing administration programs: Current approaches and recommendations. JONA, 42(10), 454-457.
- Batson, V., & Yoder, L. (2012). A concept analysis of managerial coaching. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(7), 1658-69.
- Stone, A, & Yoder, L. (2012). Strategic considerations during EHR implementation. JONA, 42(4), 208-214.
- McFall, C., & Yoder, L. H. (2012). Critical access healthcare: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 47(1), 9-17.
- Morgan, S., & Yoder, L. H. (2012). A concept analysis of person-centered care. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 30(1), 6-15. published online 19 July 2011, doi:10.1177/0898010111412189
- Nayback-Beebe, A., & Yoder, L. (2012). The lived experiences of a male survivor of intimate partner violence: A qualitative case study. MEDSURG Nursing, 21(2), 89-96.
- Nayback-Beebe, A., & Yoder, L. H. (2011). Social Support vs. social conflict: What’s more influential in mental health symptom severity for female veterans? Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 25(6), 469-478.
- Downing, J., Yoder, L. H., & Kirksey, K. (2011). A qualitative study of phlebotomy device selection. MEDSURG Nursing, 20(6), 291-295.
- Nayback-Beebe, A., & Yoder, L. H. (2011). Psychometric Properties of the Interpersonal Relationship Inventory-Short Form for Female Veterans. Research in Nursing & Health, 34, 241-252. Epub ahead of print Apr 6, 2011, doi:10.1002/nur.20435
- Haskins, M., Hnatiuk, C. N., & Yoder, L. H. (2011). Medical-Surgical nurses’ perceived value of certification study, MEDSURG Nursing, 20(2), 71-77.
- Yoder, L. H., Nayback, A. M., & Gaylord, K. (2010). The evolution and utility of the burn specific health scale: A systematic review. Burns, 36(8), 1154-1156. Pre-publication online at - doi:10.1016/j.burns.2010.01.004
- Yoder, L. H., Walden, M., & Verklan, M. T (2010). Social justice considerations in neonatal care for nurse managers and executives. JOGN 39, 349-358.
- Kowalik, S. A., & Yoder, L. H. (2010). A concept analysis of decisional involvement. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 34(3), 1-9.
- Serio-Melvin, M., Yoder, L. H., & Gaylord, K. (2010). Caring for burn patients at the United States Institute of Surgical Research: The nurses’ multifaceted role. Nursing Clinics of North America, 45(2), 233-248.
- Jones, T., Yoder, L. (2010). Economic Theory and Nursing Administration Research – Is This a Good Combination? Nursing Forum, 45(1), 40-53.