School of Nursing Receives Funds to Provide Health Care for Low-Income Central Texans
Posted: July 21, 2014
The University of Texas at Austin School of Nursing has received a two-year $703,000 grant from the St. David’s Foundation to fund services at the UT School of Nursing Wellness Center, which provides health care for low-income, uninsured residents of Central Texas.
Located at two sites — the Family Wellness Clinic in East Austin and the Children’s Wellness Clinic in Del Valle — the center also furnishes valuable clinical training programs for nursing graduate students to master skills in management of chronic disease, acute conditions and preventative medicine.
In addition to primary care, the community can obtain a variety of services at both sites that are not available at most other health care facilities, including walk-in immunization clinics, health education classes and community health outreach.
Since 1998, the School of Nursing has received more than $6 million from the St. David’s Foundation to be used for public health services and outreach.
“The generous support from the foundation helps us to provide high-quality, comprehensive health care to thousands of Central Texans without private health insurance,” said Elizabeth Loika, director of the School of Nursing wellness centers. “Our clinics help cut down on expensive, inefficient emergency room visits and improve quality of life for patients and their families. We appreciate the St. David’s Foundation’s ongoing support of our efforts to make health care accessible to so many in our community.”
The Austin-based St. David’s Foundation invests in a healthy community through funding and initiatives to better care for the underserved and uninsured.
Other Related Articles
- UT School of Nursing receives $703,000 grant from St. David’s Foundation | The Daily Texan
- School of Nursing Receives Funds to Provide Health Care for Low-Income Central Texans | InsuranceNewsNet.com
- UT School of Nursing receives money for wellness centers | Community Impact Newspaper
- Community Briefing: Grant will help UT School of Nursing provide care | Austin American Statesman
- TV clip from Univision for the St. David's Foundation Grant | Univision Austin