Do you need help with one of your Nursing courses?
Then, Student Academic Support is the resource for you. As part of the School of Nursing’s Peer Academic Coaching (PAC) program, your nursing student peers or course Teaching Assistants will work with you to address your academic performance needs.
All Peer Academic Coaches are nursing students who have demonstrated excellence in the courses for which they are coaches. Many are also registered nurses who are currently working on advanced nursing degrees.
Student Peer Academic Coaching Request
If you are an undergraduate nursing student wishing to request academic support, please use the Accudemia scheduler to sign up for a peer coaching group. We offer peer coaching groups in these subjects, on a first-come, first-served basis:
- BIOL446L Human Microscopy & Gross Anatomy
- BIO326M Intro to Medical Microbiology
- N320 Intro to Patient-Centered Nursing Care
- N224 Health Assessment Skills
- BIO365S Human Systems Physiology
- N325 Adult Health Nursing I
- N255C Adult Health IIA
- PHM338 Pharmacology (Spring and Summer semesters)
- N255D Adult Health IIB
- Skills Lab Coaching (Hands-on clinical skills coaching)
- NEW!! N265 Childbearing Families
If you need further assistance with finding a group, signing up, or have other needs surrounding academic coaching, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office: NUR 2.448
Peer Academic Coaching (PAC) – Paid Position
Overview of PAC Program
The School of Nursing Peer Academic Coaching (PAC) program provides individual and/or group tutoring for some of the prerequisite science courses, including Microbiology, Anatomy, and Physiology, as well as for J1 and J2 level courses and for certain upper division courses. The PAC position is part-time with flexible hours. Coaches are paid by the School of Nursing on an hourly basis.
Requirements for PAC Applicants
- Be currently enrolled at UT with at least one semester completed as a UT student.
- Be a Nursing major for nursing courses; other majors accepted for prerequisite Science courses.
- Have a cumulative UT GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Have earned an A in the course to be eligible to tutor that course.
- Have strong content knowledge of the course.
- Have effective listening and communication skills.
- Have respect for differences in cultures, academic backgrounds, and learning styles.
- Be available to participate in required training sessions and meetings throughout the semester.
- Be willing to occasionally serve on committees or help with special projects and administrative tasks.
- Provide one reference from a person (preferably a faculty member, instructor, or teaching assistant) who can comment on your academic and interpersonal skills with regard to this position. A Reference Form is provided for this purpose.
PAC Application Process
- Students interested in the Peer Academic Coaching position must fill out the Peer Academic Coaching Application Form.
- Once the application is submitted, one of the Peer Academic Coaching reference forms should be completed online by the person you selected as a reference. For a skills position, you must fill out the Skills Reference Form and for an academic position, you must fill out an Academic Reference Form. You are not eligible for hire until the reference form is received.
- Hiring decision is based on applicant qualifications and program needs. Once your completed Academic Coaching Application is received, you will be contacted for an interview if openings are available in your preferred courses.