Values shared with the University
Learning, Discovery, Freedom, Leadership, Individual Opportunity, and Responsibility
The purpose of the School of Nursing is to achieve excellence in undergraduate education, graduate education, research, and public service, advancing the missions of The University of Texas at Austin through:
- Preparing individuals at the baccalaureate level to assume roles in professional nursing practice;
- Preparing individuals at the graduate level to assume leadership in practice, education and research;
- Promoting excellence in nursing scholarship;
- Advancing the health of the public through developing and disseminating new knowledge about health, health care, and health care delivery through scholarly inquiry; and
- Providing consultation, health care programs, and health care services in response to emerging and urgent public health needs.
The mission of the School of Nursing will be met by working toward these goals:
- Maintaining excellence in curricula at all levels in order to challenge students to attain their full potential.
- Expanding recruitment and retention efforts to enlarge and diversify the pool of well-qualified student applicants.
- Generating research and scholarship that advances knowledge for nursing and health care.
- Actively recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty with a developing or established scholarship record, and/or clinical expertise, whose professional goals are aligned with the mission of the School of Nursing.
- Fostering faculty, staff, and student growth and development.
- Seeking endowments and other funds to support the mission of the School of Nursing.
- Performing continuous quality improvement to maintain curricular excellence in a constantly changing health care environment.
- Maintaining strong liaisons and creative service and learning partnerships with health providers and agencies, other schools and disciplines.
- Maintaining strong relationships with alumni, community groups, and other stakeholders.
- Upgrading facility and other learning resources in accord with evolving needs.