Counselors in Academic Residence Program (CARE) is a satellite program of the UT Counseling and Mental Health Center (CMHC). CARE Counselors provide mental health support and are available to help with a variety of issues that may serve as a barrier to students’ academic success. Lauren Sanchez, LCSW, is the CARE representative in the School of Nursing. Lauren enjoys working with the students of the School of Nursing and has clinical expertise in the unique challenges of students and professionals in the healthcare profession.
Lauren Sanchez, LCSW
Office Hours (time set aside to answer questions about CARE) are Wednesdays from 1:00-2:00 pm and Thursdays from 3:00-4:00 pm.
Ways to Schedule an Appointment:
- Call Lauren at 512-232-4701 and ask to schedule a CARE appointment. Be sure to leave a voicemail with your UT EID if no answer.
- Call the Counseling and Mental Health Center at 512-471-3515 and say you would like to make an appointment with your CARE counselor.
- Students may also be referred by Nursing faculty and staff.
Services Offered by CARE:
- Short-term individual counseling sessions
- Workshops and Seminars
- Education about mental health issues for staff, faculty, and students
- Streamlined referral process to mental health professionals in the Austin community
- Consultation for academic partners
Common Reasons Students Seek a CARE Referral:
Logistics of CARE Services:
Appointments are confidential. None of the information discussed will be shared without written consent. Counseling sessions at UT are now free. There is a $25 charge for missed or canceled appointments that are NOT canceled 24 hours in advance of the appointment.
Information for Faculty and Staff
Referring Students to CARE: Staff and Faculty refer can students to Lauren. School of Nursing staff and faculty can fill out a Qualtrics CARE Referral form (please contact Lauren for more information). Please let the student know you are doing this. When a referral is completed, Lauren is able to send the student a secure message via our Electronic Health Record to reinforce the referral. This message includes information about CARE and CMHC services, including psychoeducation on counseling.
Consultation/Crisis Support: If you would like to discuss a student or situation with a mental health professional, please contact Lauren at 512-232-4701, LEAVE A MESSAGE and she will get back to you as soon as she can. She receives alerts on her cell phone only when a voicemail is recorded. She can then call you back, even on days when he is located outside the School of Nursing. You can also call the Behavioral Concerns & COVID Advice Line (BCCAL) at 512-232-5050 if you have an urgent concern.