African American Mental Health and Wellness (AMEN) team is collaborating with KAZI FM 88.7 in producing a radio series to highlight the importance of addressing mental health and physical wellness in the African American community. The monthly series will feature AMEN team members from the School of Nursing, leaders from Mt. Zion Baptist and Rehoboth Baptist churches, and community organizations who provide mental health resources and support in Travis county.
Episode 6: AMEN Program Responds to Wellness Needs During the COVID-19 Pandemic
During these uncertain times, mental health services are more crucial than ever. The AMEN program, in collaboration with other programs and services in the community, has expanded their efforts to include digital and virtual mental health services, wellness information and resources.
On April 1st, Jacki Hecht was joined by Becky Morales, LCSW-S, therapist with Colors of Austin Counseling, to share insights into current stressors during COVID-19, how to navigate through this uncertain time and community resources that people can access.
COVID-19 pandemic has found many people feeling a variety of emotions. Colors of Austin Counseling offers a wide range of skills and expertise in working with clients from all backgrounds. Their mission is to empower clients to embrace their inner child whenever possible whether it be through art, music, food, dance, and writing. They believe in safety, connection and emotional trust. Their philosophy is that ‘we are all in this together’. They celebrate differences and practicing authenticity even when it's messy. Colors of Austin is currently offering teletherapy sessions to the Texas community.
Below is a list of COVID-19 additional resources shared during the podcast:
- YMCA of Austin: Resources ranging from home exercise options to educational resources
- Integral Care: 24/7 Helpline
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: 24/7 Hotline, Text, and Chat
- Love Is Respect Hotline: 24/7 Hotline, Text, and Chat - Resource for youth to prevent and end dating abuse
- Texas Health & Human Services: List of crisis hotline number by Texas counties
- Disaster Distress Hotline: 24/7 Hotline and Text
- National Crisis Text Line
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 27/7 Hotline and Text
- Veterans Crisis Line: 24/7 Hotline, Text, and Chat
- COVID-19 Resources:
Learn more about AMEN podcast and check out other episodes!